© Crown Copyright: image reproduced with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office.
A small stone quarry to the north of tunnel quarry in Corsham which was converted and used as the underground headquarters of No. 10 Group Fighter Command and as a ROTOR training station, the site is now abandoned.
Posted by Higgypop Admin last updated Mon 18 Aug 2008 at 22:24
Corsham, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Grid reference: Not available
None - this is a Ministry of Defence site.
Visited by 1 explorer
Photos of Browns Quarry
Browns Quarry history
Browns Quarry is a small quarry to the north of Tunnel Quarry, although connected Browns Quarry has nothing to do with the ammunitions depot however it was constructed by the Royal Engineers at the same time. In 1940 it was converted, at great expense, into a secure underground Command Centre for No 10 Group, RAF Rudloe Manor.
Browns Quarry was one of the most challenging construction tasks undertaken at Corsham as the operations room called for two chambers, fifty feet square and forty-five feet high both with two mezzanine observation floors.
The walls of the operations room were finished in a special paint scheme consisting of greens and yellow, designed not to distract the operator. The control room centered around a plotting table, the controllers could monitor the progress of the enemy towards Britain from the two wooden mezzanine floors above.
The control room was responsible for nine fighter air fields in the West of England and Wales which were home to 19 squadrons using 113 aircraft. The group commander who sat in the gallery would scramble appropriate squadrons to intercept the enemy based on information given to him from fighter command headquarters at Bentley Priory in Stanmore, Middlesex.
In 1945 the room became a radar training centre and between 1951 and 1955 it was the Section Operations Centre for the United Kingdom Radar Air Defence System codenamed ROTOR but by late 1955 the control functions had been move elsewhere and the room was stripped of all of it's fittings.
- Tunnel Quarry was one of the four sub-depots of the Central Ammunitions Depot, parts of the converted Bath stone quarry are still security classified sites today. The quarry connects to the northern edge of Spring Quarry and also had a link to the GWR main line at the eastern portal of Brunel's Box Tunnel.
- Now known by the name MOD Corsham and formerly JSU Corsham (Joint Service Unit) and RAF Rudloe Manor. A large military site which sits directly above the MOD's underground tunnel complex. During the Second World War the underground site made up part of a massive ammunitions depot and the world's largest underground factory. Later these tunnels became a government's emergency relocation site and various communication bunkers were also set up here.
Browns Quarry is basically where CDCN is now. The lift shaft sounds like it could be it. See this website:
OS map ref ST 84836 69608
just off Skynet Drive... yes SKYNET... not the one from the movie Terminator. This is the Sattelite system the MOD uses, Skynet. Or perhaps it was the inspiration for Terminator (giggles)