Nettleden

Tunnel Quarry


© Crown Copyright: image reproduced with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty‚Äôs Stationery Office.

Tunnel Quarry was one of the four sub-depots of the Central Ammunitions Depot, parts of the converted Bath stone quarry are still security classified sites today. The quarry connects to the northern edge of Spring Quarry and also had a link to the GWR main line at the eastern portal of Brunel's Box Tunnel.

Posted by Higgypop Admin last updated Tue 19 Aug 2008 at 15:46

Corsham, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Grid reference: ST854693

No access

No access - this is an active Ministry of Defence site.

Visited by 2 explorers

Photos of Tunnel Quarry

Tunnel Quarry history

Located South-East of Bath, Tunnel Quarry forms part of the converted stone quarry tunnel complex beneath JSU Corsham (formerly known as RAF Rudloe Manor).

The quarry was acquired by the War Department after being used to extract building stone for the last century. The quarry was extensively converted, regular storage bays were created, the floor was flattened and air conditioning and lighting was fitted through out.

The regular conditions were needed as Tunnel Quarry formed part of the Central Ammunition Depot, an amazing labyrinth of tunnels and chambers, around one hundred feet below ground covering an area of around 200 acres in four sub-depots, which between them housed over 350,000 tons of ammunition.

At the eastern portal of Brunel's Box Tunnel, a branch line from the main London to Bristol railway line leads into the heart of the depot and terminates at a half-mile long underground railway station. Most of the underground area is now abandoned. The quarry is still strictly controlled by the MOD as several areas are still classified including the Command and Control Computer Centre (CCC) in the eastern part of the quarry, which is accessible via lift from a discreet bunker style entrance in Peel Circus. Another area known as South-West Control is also still in use at the opposite end of the quarry, this area was originally set a side as storage district 1 but it was never converted, it was later converted it to a telephone exchange and switching room, it's current day use is unknown.

 

Further reading

 

 

Related venues

  • Monkton Farleigh Mine

    This former Bath stone quarry was converted in to a sub-depot of the Central Ammunitions Depot. The site consists of two areas, the main storage area - districts 12 to 18 and connect via a drift, districts 19 and 20. Each storage district was divided up in to numbered storage bays, passage ways were fitted with conveyor to transport crates of ammunition around the mine.
  • Box Tunnel

    A two mile long tunnel, built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel through Box Hill. Next to the eastern entrance of the tunnel you can see the remains of a branch from the main London to Bristol railway line which lead into the hillside into the Corsham Ammunitions Depot and terminated at a half-mile long underground railway station which was used during World War II.
  • Ridge Quarry

    Originally quarried for Bath stone up until 1914, it was later put in to use by the War Department as a sub-depot of the Central Ammunitions Depot Corsham.
  • Primary Network Control Centre

    To the Western end of Tunnel Quarry was an area which was the proposed number 1 district as part of the ammo stores, however due to a severe geological fault this area was never developed by Royal Engineers however the air ministry did make use of it 1943 when they converted it in to South West Control, a military communications centre which opperated up until the 1990s.
Next

Westwells Quarry
Corsham, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

 

Sign in or create an account to comment.